M4SD Programme in Ecuador: Upcoming Activities Launched to Harness Migration for Sustainable Development
Related Sustainable Development Goals and Global Compact for Migration Objectives
On July 15, 2022, IOM and UNDP Ecuador organized an online event to launch the upcoming activities both agencies will implement within the framework of the third phase of the Global Programme "Making Migration Work for Sustainable Development” (M4SD). This programme is being implemented in 11 different countries across the globe, including in Ecuador, with the objective of harnessing the benefits of migration for development and reducing the negative effects of migration on host and origin communities, migrants and their families.
This event provided an opportunity for representatives from both agencies as well as local government representatives in the cities of Manta and Santo Domingo and the province of Manabí to reflect on the results of past programming and present plans for the remaining duration of the programme. The activities that were launched aim to promote sustainable development through employment and socio-economic inclusion of migrants and vulnerable host community members through close collaboration between national and local authorities and the private sector.
Aside from providing technical assistance for public policy design and implementation at a national and subnational levels, completed achievements in Ecuador since the start of the Programme include a mapping exercise of the perception of the private sector that contributed to an in-depth understanding of the current panorama of labor inclusion in the cities and regions where the Programme is working; two detailed labour market studies performed in Manta and Santo Domingo, and a mapping of migrant, diaspora and returnee associations in both cities. The findings were used to develop awareness-building campaigns and inclusive hiring workshops for the private sector to encourage businesses to promote the employment of people on the move and to design and implement capacity building programs aimed towards enhancing livelihoods and strengthening entrepreneurship.
Upcoming activities will focus on:
- Deepening the understanding of employability issues through a study of the labour gaps and staffing needs of private companies
- Conducting a“training of trainers” process on inclusive contracting issues aimed at officials from the municipalities of the three localities
- Strengthening the employment and technical skills of people on the move to enhance their ability to find jobs
- Holding a job fair to connect migrants with employers and open vacancies
- Launching one online marketplace and one online job bank in each city with a human mobility and gender approach to enhance access to labour market and promote services and products
- Creating one co-working space in each municipality to ensure that host community members and people on the move can access a free space to develop their business ideas and collaborate with other entrepreneurs and professionals
- Creating a municipality -led award directed to private businesses and enterprises
- Creating a migration and development category within the Lideres para Gobernar awards, directed towards public entities that have a prominent role in promoting integration for people on the move.
Watch the full launch event here.
Read more about the M4SD Programme’s activities in Ecuador, including our work in Santo Domingo and Manta.