Setting up a territorial platform of actors to promote employment in the region of Saint Louis
Ibrahima Thiam, IOM Senegal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mody Attmane, UNDP Senegal, email@example.com
Related Sustainable Development Goals and Global Compact for Migration Objectives
The region of Saint Louis has the highest rate of unemployment in Senegal, leading to departures for emigration that are highly characterised by irregularity as it sits on the maritime fringe. It is also a region of transit and a future migratory hub in the prospective field of oil exploitation. Generally, many issues arise from migrants, whose contributions could support job creation but lack the assistance and support to properly carry out their initiatives. As part of the IOM-UNDP Global Programme on Making Migration Work for Sustainable Development, the project will contribute mainly to the reduction of poverty through wealth and job creation, especially for youth and women, and with a focus on green jobs and environmental sustainability.
The main objective of this project is to contribute to poverty reduction through job creation and the promotion of development initiatives led by actors in the regional territory of Saint-Louis and Senegalese abroad.
- Setting up a platform as an information and guidance system on employment and income generation opportunities for young people in the region, design of a website and a regional database for information on employment and investment opportunities, technical support and capacity building for municipalities to operate the platform in municipalities;
- Providing counselling, information support and referral to youth, women and returnees;
- Providing direct support for businesses and job creation and green work projects for local communities, support to business plan development, technical assistance and training, monitoring startups, start-up funding and technical investment support.
Key successes or innovative factors, good practices and lessons learned (if available)
- An information platform (Local Employment Promotion and Information Office) has been launched which serves as a regional database where employment, funding and investment opportunities are shared with local community members.
Read the case study on best practices in Saint-Louis and lessons learned: Including Rural Populations: Creating Employment Opportunities and Improving Livelihoods Across the Territory through Coordination and Partnerships between National and Local Actors (English, French)
- Local community members, with a focus on youth, women, returnees have been supported. 10 people were provided with counseling, information and referrals to services.
- 65% of the youth registered on the platform have reported that their needs have been addressed.