Side Event: Cities as Front-line Actors For the Inclusion of People on the Move - Building Sustainable Structures to Leave No-one Behind
This side event is expected to provide a platform for dialogue on the successes and challenges in the implementation and localization of SDG 11 as well as other urban-related SDGs, with a strong focus on the role of cities in ensuring a sustainable socio-economic integration of forcibly displaced population, in light of recent events impacting Ukraine, Moldova and other countries.
Expected outcomes of the side event:
- Present good practices of cities responding to new emerging displacement trends and flows.
- Raise awareness on the role of cities as front-line actors for the inclusion of forcibly displaced
- Support cities in learning about and implementing inclusive policies that benefit their communities.
- Explore and identify new partnerships to ensure a sustainable socio-economic inclusion of forcibly displaced population.
- Contribute to a growing and robust network of cities, city-led organizations, and UN Agencies
- Exchange knowledge and good practices that increase economic, social, and cultural inclusion at the local level.
- Identify funding and knowledge gaps relating to refugee and IDP inclusion, focusing on non-EU countries.
- Contribute to the discussion on transition from short-term standalone humanitarian solutions towards the longer-term inclusion and integration of displaced populations in urban development planning.