Intern- Communications & Website Management (Migration & Sustainable Development)
Come work with the M4D Net team!
The Intern will assist the Migration and Sustainable Development Unit in the implementation of internal and external public information, communications, and awareness raising activities, including developing proposals and final products for communication materials and social media messaging on IOM’s efforts to support governments in integrating migration into development policy planning, supporting the inclusion of migration issues into national reporting on the achievements of the SDGs, promoting the GCM implementation as well as raising awareness on migration and development issues among policy developers and practitioners across the globe. This will be done in alignment with global frameworks such as the Global Compact on Migration and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and subsequently fed into the M4D Net online platform on Migration and Development as well as M4D Net Facebook and Twitter pages.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the development of case studies, Storytellers, blogs and other online written content, including the daily running of the Facebook and Twitter accounts, to showcase the successes and good practices from the 11 countries in the Global Programme. These tools will support and be disseminated through formal reports (“knowledge products”) of the Programme, on the M4D Net and social media, on IOM’s various websites and with partners through their respective platforms.
- Depending on expertise, support the establishment of multimedia content (videos, graphics, infographics, design elements, social media cards, events flyers, etc.) and support formatting, editing and translation of reports and guidance in line with IOM content, style and formatting guidelines through regular coordination with MCD, PUB and TRS colleagues as needed.
- Liaise with the IOM Media and Communications Division (MCD) ahead of scheduled UN international days and other important migration and sustainable development-related communications campaigns to disseminate M&SD content and overall strengthen IOM’s contributions to said campaigns to change the narrative on migration and showcase the importance of migrants’ contributions to safe and sustainable communities.
Website / knowledge platform
- Support daily content maintenance of the M4D Net, including uploading new resources and reports, events, news, etc., reporting any technical issues with the website technical service providers and finalizing the Resources database by ensuring all essential M&SD tools and materials are available for practitioners and experts. Note that this is not a technical IT position and does not require tech expertise but rather writing and an eye for detail.
- Translate the M4D Net’s content to French and Spanish by using online translation tools and ensuring the quality of final translations, verifying against IOM French and Spanish dictionaries and pre-translated content such as the SDGs and GCM text, etc.
- Support the roll out of the 2022 M4D Net Workplan, including engaging with IOM divisions, Country and Regional Offices to ensure the whole organization owns and feeds expertise and knowledge into the platform and continuing to ensure M4D Net and its content are updated on other relevant migration and sustainable development knowledge platforms, websites, social media accounts, etc.
- Assist in collecting and consolidating results, good practices and lessons learnt coming out of the MSD Unit programmatic activities and packaging these for visibility and communication efforts in order to showcase results and promote the work of IOM in this area.
- Support other knowledge management activities as needed to enable to implementation of the Knowledge Management Action Plan of the Programme.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
- The intern will gain on-site experience in working in an international multicultural environment, within the United Nations system.
- The Intern will gain a better understanding of IOM’s work, as an inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and sustainable development, incl. cooperation with the government partners and UN agencies.
- The Intern will acquire technical knowledge in migration and sustainable development, migration and 2030 Agenda, GCM implementation and international development cooperation.
- The Intern can also access online training courses at the disposal of all IOM staff.
- The Intern will have the possibility to interact with the multi-stakeholder constituents, as well as with the internal and external partners involved in organization and implementation of capacity building, communications and knowledge sharing activities.
- The Intern will gain extensive experience working in an international and multi-cultural environment.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Communications, Marketing, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Social Science, Political Science, Anthropology, Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- Good level of knowledge and experience in sustainable development and migration issues, including policies, regional and international cooperation, and local development;
- Experience with writing communications materials for print and online circulation (including websites and social media) and tailoring language to a variety of different audiences;
- Practical experience of how-to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning approaches, information/ data analysis, and report writing;
- Excellent written communication, especially in English;
- Computer literacy, especially database tools and virtual meetings;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce high quality work within tight deadlines.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish. For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish and/or another UN Official language is an advantage.
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
- have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
- are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies; or
- are sponsored by governmental/non governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor.
- are either enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or have graduated in the last 12 months.
- are between 20 and 36 years of age.
Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs. Please consider the cost of living prior to applying.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 December 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment.