Support local development through new services for unemployed youth, Knjaževac
Related Sustainable Development Goals and Global Compact for Migration Objectives
In Knjaževac municipality, the main development challengesare an aging population, economic migration of youth and lack of educational profiles that meet the needs of the economy. These problems mainly stem from unemployment and youth having low levels of education, belonging to the school drop-out category and lacking practical knowledge. The COVID-19 pandemic has only exacerbated these existing problems as there is no new labour force to compensate for reductions in the labour market, mainly because the education system does not provide such educational profiles thus leading to a mismatch in supply and demand in the local community.
As part of the IOM-UNDP Global Programme on Making Migration Work for Sustainable Development, the project will replicate some of the successful measures implemented by the local self-government and work with them to support youth employability (supply side), increase job opportunities (demand side), and improve migration management (governance) at the local level. On a larger scale, the project will contribute to national development priorities in terms of reducing youth migration and "brain drain", and to develop better policies that support professional and vocational training and development of youth, as well as contribute to better conditions for their return. Overall, the project will enhance employability among youth most prone to unemployment i.e., those who are Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET), dropouts, family members of returnees and Roma minority youth from rural areas and women.
The project will contribute to the socio-economic development among youth, particularly the Roma population, in the municipality of Knjaževac through the improvement of local employability.
- Organizing technical training to young unemployed persons on specific skills that meet local industry demand;
- Support establishment of training centers for machinery practice and theoretical exercises for the youth and conducting training for local mentors on using specific VET methodology to effectively support youth;
- Conducting awareness raising campaign among youth on accessing training center services and assistance, incl. film production;
- Develop, adopt, implement and monitor local protocol and procedures for supporting employment of young people from vulnerable groups.
- 200 unemployed young people under the age of 30 who are internal, potential, return or labour migrants
- 4 Institutions/organizations representative’s (Technical School Knjaževac representatives; Centre for Social Work representatives; Local coordinator for Roma issues; Local CSOs dealing with issues of Roma/ marginalized and vulnerable groups)
- 20 local companies
- 30 local companies
- Branch of the National Employment Service (NES)
- Regional Chamber of commerce,
- Local Agency for Development of municipality Knjaževac (ARK)