Support local economic co-development initiatives in the Region of Sédhiou, Phase 2 (PAICODELS 2)
Related Sustainable Development Goals and Global Compact for Migration Objectives
The Sédhiou region is populated with a majority of young people under 25 years old and living in rural areas. Human mobility is constant in the region’s history that has seen immigration, emigration and transit as mobility phenomena. Some locals move back and forth between their places of reception and origin for seasonal work (rainfed agriculture) while others migrate to other parts of Senegal or Africa for agricultural work in general. Nationals are often organized in development associations, through which they contribute to the development of Sédhiou and transfer funds to their families, as well as initiate economic projects in the region. As part of the IOM-UNDP Global Programme on Making Migration Work for Sustainable Development, this project will contribute to local socio-economic development through income generation, communication and strengthening the knowledge base on interventions and investment projects surrounding migration and sustainable development.
The project aims to enhance employment and livelihood opportunities for migrants and local communities, including by engaging the diaspora for investment in local development projects.
- Establish a support fund for local economic co-development initiatives to strengthen migrant micro-projects.
- Redesign of the HOM (Help Office for Migrants) interactive platform, a mobilization tool to engage migrants and diaspora for investment projects in their communities of origin.
- Strengthen and consolidate the production of knowledge on the links between migration and development processes in Africa and Europe based on an impact study of COVID-19 to measure the socioeconomic impact of the pandemic and propose concrete and lasting recovery solutions.
- Produce a documentary film on successful socio-economic investment experiences of migrants from Sédhiou, running six radio broadcasts on irregular migration, investment opportunities, innovative examples;
- Strengthen and consolidate the role of local authorities in the Sédhiou Region in the development and implementation of economic co-development projects, in close collaboration with migrants through consultation meetings and technical workshops. sharing of tools on migration and local development.
- Strengthen and consolidate dialogue and consultation between local authorities. regions of Sédhiou, host communities in France, Spain and Italy with a view to lasting decentralized cooperation partnerships, including through the Missions Double Espace (MDE), which promote decentralized partnerships to facilitate investment in localities of origin.
Principaux succès ou facteurs innovants, bonnes pratiques et enseignements tirés (si disponibles)
The Programme supported the establishment of a regional platform for the ARDs, the HOM (Help Office For Migrants – Bureau d’appui aux migrants) which responds to one of the main motivations of the region, which is to open the Collectivités Territoriales (CT) of the Sédhiou region to the rest of the world and to support migrants and diaspora to invest in the region in a sustainable manner. The platform is now live!
- At least 10 migrant projects (individual - association) or return migrants will receive support to implement or strengthen income-generating projects.
- The creation of around 30 direct jobs, mainly made up of young people and women, and 700 indirect jobs.