Integrating migration into the evaluation of the Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Sectoral Programme and Investment Plan
This project occured under the Mainstreaming Migration into International Cooperation and Development (MMICD) project, implemented by IOM and funded by DG-INTPA. Learn about MMICD here.
Support the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries to integrate migration into the Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Sectoral Programme (PSAEP) and the National Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Investment Plan (PNIAEP
This technical assistance (TA) focused on integrating migration into the evaluation of two sectoral programmes for the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries (MAEP): the Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Sectoral Programme (PSAEP) and the National Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Investment Plan (PNIAEP). The MAEP requested support to conduct a standard evaluation of the two programmes and IOM identified an opportunity to both provide that support and integrate migration into the process, especially after the preceding country assessment highlighted that there were few references to migration in national development plans or rural development policy documents. Two evaluation consultants were contracted to conduct a general programme evaluation which also looked at how migration could be integrated.
To address the needs identified, the consultants used the guidelines and tools to identify migration linkages within the standard evaluation exercise, developing recommendations for integrating migration into the revised PSAEP, PNIAEP and the national development plan (the Plan for the Emergence of Madagascar). As part of the TA, IOM also contacted the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the UN.
Principaux succès ou facteurs innovants, bonnes pratiques et enseignements tirés (si disponibles)
- Mainstreamed migration into a national government programme at the theoretical level.
- Considered migration within a standard programme-level evaluation:
- Included migration in the contextual analysis, highlighting thematic linkages between rural development and migration.
- Included general recommendations on the integration of migration in the PSAEP and PEM as one of the evaluation report’s three categories of recommendations.
- The TA’s contribution to mainstreaming migration into the rural development sector in a way that impacts the sector or migrants will depend on further actions, such as the Government deciding to revise the PSAEP and PNIAEP, accepting the evaluation report’s recommendations on migration, and then operationalizing these changes through programmes and projects
Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries (MAEP)